bigjoeuk

Feb 13, 2022
It appears that latest version of BBC iplayer is only compatable with Android 5 plus. For both iplayer app and on browser the screen freezes and is a quarter of full screen size.

I have just reset my T8-S and OTA Updates is showing build version p200_2G-userdebug 6.0.1 MHC19J 20170704 test-keys

when I check for Available updates I get 'Error fetching update info: Error communicating with server!

Can you please confirm what version of Android I am on and whether it is possible to update to a newer version of Android.

Thanks

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
There should be a menu item in settings which will tell you the android version
Possibly under a system...about tab or similar.
If you have the original T8 then it will be running android 4.n.n. Not updateable.
The T8 plus S v2 runs android 5. Again not updateable.
Iplayer is not certified for these machines. So later versions may not work properly. In fact i rarely use my android box versions these days, preferring to use my smart tv. Apps like youtube and spotify seem to work ok though.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
No if you have android 5 most other things work. I do use kodi for sport and for games that are not transmitted in TV schedules

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
If you're using one of the T8's it could be anywhere from Android 4 to Android 6 realistically. But given what you've laid out it's probably Android 4.

Unfortunately none of these boxes have any legitimate/safe methods of updating to newer versions of Android. At best you might be able to find some hacked-together third party build on some corner of the internet that could run a very real risk of bricking the device.

I'd just update to a newer model at this point. We're not as focused on Android boxes as we used to be, but we still stock a few varities. The DroiX X3 is a particular favourite of mine.
DroiX X3 4K Android TV Box - https://droix.co.uk/product/droix-x3

You could also look into getting a mini PC of sorts. While more expensive than an Android box by a sizable amount, they're significantly more powerful and flexible (they're basically just full-on-computers that are the size of an Android box).