khurramsch

Dec 20, 2015
Hi,

I have a MX box ( for XBMC ) . It was working fine but not since yesterday. It showed Matricom screen then went in to Matricom set up instead of normal home screen. 1st thought was that for some reason it has resetted itself so everything gone.

Tried installing XBMC/Kodi, It gave memory low error.

On checking settings > memory , it showed internal memory Zero.

The solution i found ( not sure if its right one for above problem ) is to reset it and re install firmware.

For that there is another problem. when i try to reset it ( with toothpick method in AV port OR from settings ) it just gives blank screen nothing else. Blank screen comes only when i try resetting otherwise it just goes to Marticom setup on start up .

Any suggestions ?

Thank You

Kind Regards

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi,

I have a MX box ( for XBMC ) . It was working fine but not since yesterday. It showed Matricom screen then went in to Matricom set up instead of normal home screen. 1st thought was that for some reason it has resetted itself so everything gone.

Tried installing XBMC/Kodi, It gave memory low error.

On checking settings > memory , it showed internal memory Zero.

The solution i found ( not sure if its right one for above problem ) is to reset it and re install firmware.

For that there is another problem. when i try to reset it ( with toothpick method in AV port OR from settings ) it just gives blank screen nothing else. Blank screen comes only when i try resetting otherwise it just goes to Marticom setup on start up .

Any suggestions ?

Thank You

Kind Regards
Hi

Black screen during recovery menu means that your box is bricked/damaged and simply that procedure is no longer possible at all.

Sometimes doing regular factory reset from the android/openELEC menu itself can fix things but do not hope too much.

I hope its the display issue that you are facing problems with,trying recovery menu on different display set would be great,

Regards

Reactions: khurramsch

khurramsch

Dec 20, 2015
Hi

Black screen during recovery menu means that your box is bricked/damaged and simply that procedure is no longer possible at all.

Sometimes doing regular factory reset from the android/openELEC menu itself can fix things but do not hope too much.

I hope its the display issue that you are facing problems with,trying recovery menu on different display set would be great,

Regards

Hi 8bitDev,

Thank you for your reply. Display seems to be ok as it shows every other thing on box. Just when i try to recover , it goes to blank screen.

I did tried to reset it from settings> Backup and rest . It switched itself off and then back on. Showed matricom logo and then blank screen.

Is this what you mean by bricked?

thanks

Kind Regards

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi 8bitDev,

Thank you for your reply. Display seems to be ok as it shows every other thing on box. Just when i try to recover , it goes to blank screen.

I did tried to reset it from settings> Backup and rest . It switched itself off and then back on. Showed matricom logo and then blank screen.

Is this what you mean by bricked?

thanks

Kind Regards

No,that is normal for factory reset behavior ,but when it comes to recovery menu and showing black screen,there is nothing else to it besides trying to see if recovery menu works on some other display!

Regards

Reactions: khurramsch

khurramsch

Dec 20, 2015
No,that is normal for factory reset behavior ,but when it comes to recovery menu and showing black screen,there is nothing else to it besides trying to see if recovery menu works on some other display!

Regards

Hi 8bitDev,

Thank you for your reply.

It has been sorted. Found out recovery files for g box and flashed it with toothpick. it worked this time. then done same process for matricom recovery files on sd card.

Regards

Reactions: 8bitDev

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
Whenever you are done with XBMC or Kodi try to Exit XBMC or Kodi properly by pressing on Power icon next to star icon at the bottom left of the main screen of Kodi or XBMC.
After pressing on power icon it will take some time but it Exit it properly and will prevent the XBMC or Kodi from creating cache or temp files.
If you don't exit XBMC or Kodi properly some Add-ons keep running in background and keeps creating cache files or temp files which fills up the internal main memory.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
So does zero cache setting....as it needs to have enough memory for the hole program or movie. If you don't then it will crash your box and the storage will be full. Normally if you have enough memory at the end it will just clear it, thats why zero cache is good for boxes with 16 GB or more. I don't recommend it on 8GB boxes, as after all the apps and wizards have run you only have about 2GB left and a 1080 movie can be more than that.

Reactions: ChrisM and Qaisir

Jaybe

Aug 2, 2016
Hi 8bitDev,

Thank you for your reply.

It has been sorted. Found out recovery files for g box and flashed it with toothpick. it worked this time. then done same process for matricom recovery files on sd card.

Regards

Hi my friend, I know this is an old post but I have the same exact problem with my MX2. I have tried every thing possible and nothing, the same exact thing you explained on your 1st post I have. Please tell me how you sorted your problem, I have tried all recovery.img that I can find for the MX2 and nothing, If not a Black screen it gets stock on MATRICOM logo, thats with the toothpick and the SD inserted. If let it boot normal it will boot always to the 1st time setup and 0 space available. Can u tell me where to find the correct files to fix this box, I know there is better ones out there and I have 2 more of a different brand but this MX2 I cost me lot more than the other ones and it was working very good until this problem. Thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Jaybe Please note this procedure and the file is for DroidBOX devices. Don't try this unless all other avenues have been tried.
If it doesn't work or makes things worse, please note we are not responsible for your device, nor what the process does to it.

There we go, got that out of the way.
If you've not tried this file already, check https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/factory-reset-an-imx6-when-recovery-menu-wont-open/ please note the download link, without that file on an SD card, nothing will change. It is OK to use (on DroidBOX devices at least) even if the Recovery menu DOES appear.