daddyjones

May 22, 2023
I'm planning on buying a retro gaming handheld at some point in the next few months. I was looking at the Anbernic RG552 because I really like the idea of dual boot with Android and Linux - mainly because I'm a Linux geek and it's my daily driver OS anyway and it makes me comfortable. However, I've seen several posts where people seem to think it's very overpriced. Also, I've been wondering about the dual boot because I imagine that Android can more or less do everything gaming wise that Linux on the same specs can do - is that the case? On an Android only system, I have been interested in the Retroid Pocket 2/3/+ as well.

Also, I've been wondering whether any of these handhelds would, in addition to running emulators and retro games, be able to stream from steam. It's probably obvious, but for clarity, I mean control games running on my PC in steam rather than stream what I'm playing for others to view. I'm hoping that, given that the PC is doing all the heavy lifting, that this should be possible right?

I'd be quite happy with any handheld that had reasonable build quality, could run stuff up to at least PS1 (PSP would be nice, but I could certainly live without) and, ideally, could stream my games from steam.

Obviously, if I can get all that in something cheaper than the RG552 then I'm happy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

StuDroiX

Staff member
Dec 7, 2021
I'm planning on buying a retro gaming handheld at some point in the next few months. I was looking at the Anbernic RG552 because I really like the idea of dual boot with Android and Linux - mainly because I'm a Linux geek and it's my daily driver OS anyway and it makes me comfortable. However, I've seen several posts where people seem to think it's very overpriced. Also, I've been wondering about the dual boot because I imagine that Android can more or less do everything gaming wise that Linux on the same specs can do - is that the case? On an Android only system, I have been interested in the Retroid Pocket 2/3/+ as well.

Also, I've been wondering whether any of these handhelds would, in addition to running emulators and retro games, be able to stream from steam. It's probably obvious, but for clarity, I mean control games running on my PC in steam rather than stream what I'm playing for others to view. I'm hoping that, given that the PC is doing all the heavy lifting, that this should be possible right?

I'd be quite happy with any handheld that had reasonable build quality, could run stuff up to at least PS1 (PSP would be nice, but I could certainly live without) and, ideally, could stream my games from steam.

Obviously, if I can get all that in something cheaper than the RG552 then I'm happy.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Have you considered the RG353M, RG353V and RG353P? All are dual boot with android. RG353M is the most solid build as comes in a metal shell. All will run up to PS1 well. If you install the steamlink app on the android OS, then you should be able to control and play games via your PC on the anbernic device.