darth_careful

Apr 10, 2021
Just out of interest, is there a quick way to (safely) shut the Anbernic down?

Obviously, the fastest way is to press the power button, but that can corrupt the SD card.

So, at the moment, I'm using this method:

- exit the game
- exit retroarch
- pull up the system menu and select quit
- select shutdown
- yes, really really shutdown

It's a bit of a faff. Any quicker methods?

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
There's no quicker way unfortunately to our knowledge. Safest way to shutdown is via the menu-based method that you've described.

S_G

Dec 17, 2021
Well, not sure about a way to turn off the device quickly, but you can customize a shortcut for the first two steps. It's a kinda lengthy procedure.

You can create a hotkey to exit the game and Retroarch at once by editing input>hotkeys in retro Retroarch to your liking. I personally set Select button as the hotkey enabler and Start button X2 as the game quit hotkey. Now all I have to do is hold Select then click Start twice in a game and I'm back to EmuElec interface in an blink but I will have to shutdown the device normally. Forcing a shutdown could cause problems like not saving some changes.

In short:
- Select+StartX2
- Pull up the system menu and select quit
- Select shutdown
- Yes, really really shutdown (it's just another 2 clicks, really)

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
By default I think 351Elec adds a double-tap of Start+Select as a shortcut for exiting back to EmulationStation too. Which is nice.

S_G

Dec 17, 2021
The RG351P I got had the double-tap feature activated but not the Start+Select or any hot hey to exit games. I didn't find the default game exit shortcut in a quick try so I just went to Retroarch and set it to Start+Select. Even the manual says to bring the Retroarch menu, exit the game then exit Retroarch. The hotkey was even set to L3 not Select. That's on EmuElec 3.8 which came with it by default, BTW, not 351Elec. EmuElec has it too but buried and one has to set it up. It's a Retroarch feature that has been added long time ago, not a variant/destro/etc. or a device specific feature, so it can be used on the default RG351P EmuElec too. Immediate Retroarch features can always be used unless the UI has a setup for it or a programming that prevents it which will revert it back if you change it in Retroarch.

I tried to install 351Elec using two SD cards and it failed. Same with ArkOS so I tried to be content with EmuElec, and luckily I found most if not all features I've been looking for. But that's another story ;)