Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I've been trying for some time to find a way to replace the MBOX launcher (home screen) on my T8, because since the release of kodi helix 14 and isengaard 15 the big xbmc tile no longer opens the app. I had to do it via a separate kodi shortcut I created on the home screen. I've noticed several other people have had the same issue here.
Here is how I fixed things to my satisfaction.
I went to the google play store and downloaded the Nova Launcher (free version). While there I also downloaded the Wallpapers HD app by IncredibleApp! (There are several with this name, select the one you fancy). This would allow me to customise the home window wallpaper as the default on my box was pretty horrible.
OK. With both apps downloaded I got asked which launcher I wanted to run and chose Nova - once only. This selection because if I didn't like it or didn't work I could revert to the original.
I set up the home screen the way I wanted by dragging icons from the apps screen (like you would on a normal android phone or tablet). On the home screen, I pressed the home button on my air mouse (or the home icon at the bottom of the screen). This brought up the Nova toolbar. From here you can select the wallpaper of your choice - it works in conjunction with the Wallpaper app which you should run to select some nice wallpapers.
Once everything was set up the way I wanted, I made Nova the default launcher by selecting "always". If you need to revert to the default MBOX launcher go to Settings-Display-Home and change it there.

I hope this helps people who have experienced this issue. It is unlikely to affect those who have bought boxes recently or have not updated kodi as everything should be linked correctly.

Reactions: azabhoy

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
We've advised this route as an option for a while (going back to when I first started), thanks for the heads up and also your perspective.
Also worth trying different launchers, depending on the control you're using, whether you want features or speed etc.

Kirk

Oct 14, 2016
Help please: Thanks for the Nova Launcher tip, love it ! ....I've been able to add apps to the Nova home screen, but when they land in the wrong place how do I MOVE an icon? (using T8-S Plus remote, and also Droidbox I8 high quality Wireless Mini keyboard with touchpad control)

Sent from my SM-N910V using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
As i use a mouse type device it is simple drag and drop for me.

I don't know how it works with a more formal keyboard but i guess you need to get focus on an icon using the touchpad controls to reposition?

Maybe some other user can help.

You could also try a usb mouse if you have one to do the positioning then revert to your keyboard.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Kirk Will walk through the process one step at a time. Not meant as insult, but just in case there is a little issue catching you out...
Using the i8 touchpad, move the on screen cursor onto the shortcut/widget in Nova that you want to move
Hold DOWN (don't release for a while yet) the Left Mouse Button on your i8. That's the one with a little mouse picture, with the left button painted in white
Using the touchpad (don't release that left mouse button yet), move the onscreen cursor to where you want to have the shortcut/widget moved to
NOW release the Left Mouse Button

km1423

Aug 23, 2017
I've been trying for some time to find a way to replace the MBOX launcher (home screen) on my T8, because since the release of kodi helix 14 and isengaard 15 the big xbmc tile no longer opens the app. I had to do it via a separate kodi shortcut I created on the home screen. I've noticed several other people have had the same issue here.
Here is how I fixed things to my satisfaction.
I went to the google play store and downloaded the Nova Launcher (free version). While there I also downloaded the Wallpapers HD app by IncredibleApp! (There are several with this name, select the one you fancy). This would allow me to customise the home window wallpaper as the default on my box was pretty horrible.
OK. With both apps downloaded I got asked which launcher I wanted to run and chose Nova - once only. This selection because if I didn't like it or didn't work I could revert to the original.
I set up the home screen the way I wanted by dragging icons from the apps screen (like you would on a normal android phone or tablet). On the home screen, I pressed the home button on my air mouse (or the home icon at the bottom of the screen). This brought up the Nova toolbar. From here you can select the wallpaper of your choice - it works in conjunction with the Wallpaper app which you should run to select some nice wallpapers.
Once everything was set up the way I wanted, I made Nova the default launcher by selecting "always". If you need to revert to the default MBOX launcher go to Settings-Display-Home and change it there.

I hope this helps people who have experienced this issue. It is unlikely to affect those who have bought boxes recently or have not updated kodi as everything should be linked correctly.

km1423

Aug 23, 2017
Thank you. this has saved me. Great advice for new users to the T8 V4. (Krypton) Awesome.