NikoB

Jan 16, 2016
Hi guys, just bought one..

If I update to Android 11 and don`t like it for some reason (maybe miss the play store), can I flash back to Android 7 without issues?

Thanks in advance..

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Hi there,

Well, usually that's not recommended. But these devices operate a bit different from your Android phone let's say.

Since the firmware is not on NAND Flash (Chip soldered onto the motherboard), but on a MicroSD card - You can just flash the Android 7 image back onto it.

Worst thing can happen is breaking the 16GB MicroSD Card, as opposed to bricking a NAND Flash soldered to a motherboard.

Edit: This is how to flash the firmware: RG552 Firmware Update - How to update Android & Linux OS Firmware | DroiX Blogs | Latest Technology and Gadgets

Go for it and have fun :)

NikoB

Jan 16, 2016
Thanks for that. I will be rolling back later! Followed your instructions to update to android 11. It was a little different than you described as it asks you to eject SD card before it does the “erasing” thing.. Anyway it got stuck on an endless “erasing” screen for three hours until I decided to take a chance on a shutdown.

Thankfully it wasn’t bricked and booted to Android 11 albeit with an error message every time it boots up for the first time.

As predicted, I didn’t like the lack of play services and the overclocking didn’t seem to make any difference with performance anyway..

Do you know if they will release a play store version of Android 11?

Thanks again.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
We do not have any confirmed information if a version with Google Play Store will be released. But we would expect for one to arrive in the future as they done similar for the original firmware for Chinese, then one later for Western owners.