cdzo72

Mar 8, 2017
Hello to everyone! I am having as issue using a VPN with my box... it's a Q7 but I flashed an X7 rom to it and the ethernet and WiFi are working fine. I flashed this X7 rom to it because I couldn't get wifi to work with either ROM in the Q7 section although mine does say Q7 on the bottom and resembles all the Q7 pics. I did have an Entertainment Box rom for Q7 on it and the reason I went looking for another ROM is because of the same problem, inability to connect to VPN.

OK, when I say I can't use any VPN I mean I can't use any VPN at all, whether it be with the app for that VPN or manual configuration... neither will connect. I have tried tigerVPN, SmartDNSProxy VPN, Avast SecureLine VPN and TunnelBear. I have also tried the manual configuration for L2TP for each of those and still no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
DroidBOX X7 - a device with no webcam
b351_06.jpg

DroidBOX Q7 - a device with a webcam lens at the front
Q7_865707291_560.jpg

There are however some X7 devices with a Q7 sticker on the bottom. This is because there are several varities of the X7, with slightly different chips inside.
Which firmware was on the device before you flashed the Q7 (webcam) firmwares?

cdzo72

Mar 8, 2017
Hey ChrisM, thank you for replying to my post. I have the one above, the Q7, but as I mentioned, I flashed a ROM for the X7 and it runs fine. But neither firmware (ROM) allows me VPN connections.

cdzo72

Mar 8, 2017
If you're using ethernet, have you tried both of the Q7 firmwares already?
Yeah... those were the first two I tried. I finally found ONE ROM out of about 10 that I found over the weekend that allowed me to connect using built in VPN but it still won't let me connect using a VPN app. It will actually connect via an app with this one ROM, BUT immediately causes a reboot when the app connects. Darndest thing I've seen...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk