thewatchergb

Jan 31, 2015
Hi All,

I have recently asked a VPN question elsewhere in the forums which Chris responded to (thank you) but this is a different and perhaps bigger issue I have with my T8.

Since first setting the IPV account details into the app and making the initial connection to an overseas server I have not been able to get a consistent response from the app nor does it show the screens that I believe it should and I have not been able to access a list of countries nor servers!

What I see when the app first opens is the three bars in top left corner with IPVanish written next to it. Looking down the page on the left it shows Con/Status, IP Add, Location. On the right Disconnected, IP Add, Local Server.

Below this is the Green Bar for Connection and below that again on the left, Quick Conn Pref, Country (USA) City (Trenton), Server (etc).

All this I think is normal. However, if I click on the 3 bars in top left nothing happens. I can pull/slide in a column from the left which displays my account name, quick connect, server, account, settings. Clicking on Quick Connect slides this column back. Clicking Server opens a plain black page which only displays the 3 bars in left top and a search glass and funnel in top right. Clicking on the 3 bars slides the Account column mentioned above out, clicking on search glass opens the search title box and the on screen keyboard. Clicking on the funnel opens a page which shows, Sort By, Country, Ping on the left and Country, Any, Any on the right and in green text below RESET FILTERS. Clicking on any of these opens pages that don't lead anywhere further!

Moving back to the Quick Connect page sometimes does nothing and sometimes does connect me but only to the server I was on previously and I cannot bring up any other countries or servers. Sometimes I will stay connected and sometimes after a period of time I will find I'm back at my home location server.

In addition to this, and worryingly so, even though this IPV page says I am on a server in the USA when I check in the T8's main settings as to how I am connected it displays that I am connected to my home IP address!

I have searched in vain to find answers to this situation but have gotten nowhere, I am still waiting to hear back from IPVanish but hope someone here on the forum can help.

Please use words for Dummies to explain a solution or suggestion! ;-)

Regards Tracey

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Hi,

This is a common problem with Ipvanish on the T8-S (not plus) as I believe it may have something to do with Android 4.4.2 kitkat.

Unfortunately there is no fix. I've contacted Ipvanish and they were quite short with me saying they can't dissect every box to work with there software!!

However you can bypass the app and add the relevant server address into that VPN section of Androids settings.

The server addresses are on the Ipvanish website so you can copy/paste it into your manual setting in android.

Hope this helps.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

thewatchergb

Jan 31, 2015
Thanks for your assistance Fritz-69!

Rather than further faffing about or having to deal with additional steps just to watch a bit of telly I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a VPN that works seamlessly with the T8/4.4 Android preferably one that will also allow me to add a whole house VPN set up to my BT Home Hub 5 (possibly soon to be 6)?

Regards,
Tracey

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@thewatchergb Re the home IP address, if it is 192.168.something that is your LAN IP address, correct info.
If it is showing your external IP address, don't worry, check https://www.whatismyip.com/ in a browser on the DroidBOX
@Fritz-69 We've been in contact with IPVanish again since the last report, the members of their support team who didn't know about the DroidBOX hardware we gave the company for testing are supposed to have been retrained.